Vernon Middle School students were recognized Monday night when the Washington County School Board met, for entering the Poetic Power poetry and essay contest and getting published in their book. In the front of the book VMS is recognized as a Poetic Achievement Honor School. There were a total of 47 students who participated.
Board members also took time at the beginning of their meeting to remember Charles Brock who passed over the weekend. Brock served on the School Board from 1972-1976.
Chipley High School students were also recognized for a FVA All-State Reading Chorus Recognition.
VMS Principal Kim Register was recognized for the Florida Tax Watch Principal Leadership Award.
Consent items that were approved included:
- payment of monthly bills; financial report and budget amendments
- School Internal Audit Report
- contract with Griffith Consulting, LLC
- out of state travel for CHS FFA
- out of state travel for CHS students
- revised KMS student handbook
- FPTC school improvement plan
- FPTC strategic plan
- FPTC non-exclusive student affiliation agreement with Flowers Hospital
- out of state travel for Martha Compton and Shirley Thompson
- School Health Plan
- out of state travel for VMS cheerleaders
- out of state travel for VMS 7th and 8th grade field trip
- out of state travel for VMS AR field trip
- VMS Xerox contract
- Safe Schools Appropriations Survey
- District and Schools Parent Involvement Plans
- Digital Classroom Plan
- District assessment calendar
- PO for computers
- Early Learning Coalition Community Partnership agreement with FPTC
- proctor fee
- school improvement plans
- out of state travel for RMS students
- PO for Dell computers
- out of state travel for VHS FFA/Ag students
The following personnel items were approved.
District: 21st Century CCLC instructional and non-instructional personnel; employment of Joy Taylor; pay level change for Amanda Clark
Chipley High School: extended leave for Joel Orlando; employment of Sharon Cody;out of field ESOL teachers; pay level change for Monica Roberts
Kate Smith Elementary: leave of absence for Mary Allison Ellis
Maintenance: employment of Cindy Zabell and Dana Brooks; retirement of John Theodore Baxter
Okeechobee Youth Development Center: pay level change for Dannielle Cook; employment of Kenneth Hayes; out of field ESOL teachers
Roulhac Middle School: out of field ESOL teachers
Transportation: employment of Brian Brewer; employment of Mark Batson; employment of Steve Rudd
Vernon Middle School: out of field ESOL teachers; out of field teacher in science